mardi 28 décembre 2010

Regalia and some change: Why Rob shouldn't take pictures with wine

Okay! I'm back! But I'm not doing catchup! I'm actually (well, I'm actuallement actually listening to some mad Jonas Kaufmann, who is just plain straight-up wonderful) going to go ahead and do a real update of something that recently happened! And it will be about this mysterious Regalia thing!

What is Regalia? Well, see, one of the things that I've learned since coming to France is that there is a verb specifically for really enjoying food- namely, "se regaler de (quelque chose)." So that's actually where the name of the blog comes from- I live in Combs la Ville, and there's some nifty grafitti near the house that says "Combs L'Asil," so with the verb and the tag, I figured I'd use that as a groovy blog name. As a result, there will hopefully be fairly regular blog posts regarding Regalia, AKA food I make. Because everyone likes a food blog, right?

Anyway, I went to Stephen's place tonight to meet up with him and Laura (a friend of his from Egypt), and there, we made crêpes! Not crépes, which I know is how most of you Americans (yes I'll be super patronizing right now and use the second person for Americans even though it should be the plural first person in my case, but whatever) pronounce it. And they were delicious. And there was much wine, which is likely influencing this post. But to greater things!

We started out with some standard dinner crêpes- a 1:1:1:1 cup of milk:cup of flour:egg:pinch of salt batter whisked well and poured thinly into a skillet. As for a filling, we used some goat cheese (so delicious), some beef, some chopped ham, some carmelized onions, some apples, some spinach, and some sautéed mushrooms. We all thought they were phenomenal, but between the super-long commute (there was a fight at Villeneuve St. Georges that delayed us quite a bit) and the massive amounts of stuff I was hauling (about 750 g flour, 2 L milk, 1 kg white sugar, some brown sugar, vanilla, other spices, and 3 bottles of wine), I did not have the presence of mind to take pictures of that. Sad Rob and sad you, because they were freaking delicious. Huh. I have the presence of mind not to swear right now. I guess I'm growing up. Best get to a tea party with Tony the Tiger and Toucan Sam. That's right. Tony Abbott gets referenced here. You should read him. He's fun. But I continue to digress habitually. ON TO DESSERT!~

Yes. Then we finished dinner, took a break, and moved onto dessert. For that, we added some sugar, vanilla, and cinnamon to the batter recipe to sweeten it up a bit (and perhaps too much- the wine resulted in me adding a bit too much vanilla, which I'm sure Dad will call a great heresy, but it was seriously a ton of vanilla). Then, I made a nice banana thing that Bev showed me a while ago- basically, it's Banana's Foster without the flambé part. You sauté the halved bananas in some butter, brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla, and just let them get tender. We put them in our crêpes, and I did have the presence of mind here to get some pictures! Such as THIS!

New meaning to my usual nanners posting.


And of course, Stephen did a great job of mixing the batter, which was probably too sweet (my fault, since I added some of the sugar and stuff), but still delicious.

Stephen gives a firm stir.

And Laura made a freaking phenomenal chocolate sauce out of the cocoa powder that I brought. Seriously. It was delicious, and not cake-town. But were there a cake, it would totally be cake-town. And there she is now!

Oh God the chocolate.


And there she is again!

The delicious chocolate. And Stephen with a spatula.

And since I have no filter on whether or not I post a picture regardless of its quality (ain't wine great?), here's one of me and Laura mixing stuff! (Also, thanks to Stephen for taking the pictures of me on this one!)

Who's that in that blue shirt posting on this blog?

Whisking the bajeezus out of that batter.

And yes, there was wine. And then I took the Noctilien home, and got here, and proceeded to post this. Now I will sleep and hopefully make a pie for Bev and her daughter tomorrow morning before heading off to Munich for New Year's.

Why, yes, there will be pictures of that pie. And possibly more catchup. Hopefully more catchup- I'm woefully behind.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire